Thursday, January 31, 2013

Charles Bridge

Creator: Josef Koudelka 
Title: CZECHOSLOVAKIA. 1992. CZECHOSLOVAKIA. Prague. 1992. Charles Bridge.
Date: 1992
Collection: Magnum Photos
Description: Black and white photograph of the Charles Bridge, in Prague, with the statues and a dog on the bridge in silhouette.
Thinking about this assignment caused me to remember several stunning photographs of the 1968 invasion of Prague, with tanks rolling in, etc., that I encountered first in a European history class, and looked up again later before travelling to the city. The photographer, Josef Koudelka, is famous for those images, and has since then been capturing scenes in Europe. I wanted to pick something newer, and so I selected this photograph of his because it is a both a more modern (and peaceful) image of Prague, but also a side of the Charles Bridge, Prague’s most famous landmark, that I am not used to seeing. To me this is a somewhat quiet photograph, with so much in dark and silhouette, and it makes the scene seem more personable (and maybe even quaint?). I love the dog, which is the only form really sharp and at the forefront. It almost looks as if the dog is paying homage, or making his stop for some reason, while the few human travelers walk on in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment